History of Hales Corners
The area was first claimed as French, then British, and eventually as the Northwest Territory of the United States in 1783. At that time, the Potawatomi Indian population was compelled by treaty to move to the west, and the land was sold to settlers by the United States Government for as little as $1.25 per acre.
Two brothers, Seneca and William Hale, claimed 160 acres each in 1837. Their father, Ebenezer, joined them and purchased another 160 acres to the east. Their family’s property formed three of the four corners at the current intersection of Janesville Road and 108th Street (Hwy. 100). Due to the agricultural traffic along Janesville Road, the area attracted commercial development. It was first referred to as “Hale’s Corners” after William Hale, who became its first postmaster. Later, the apostrophe was dropped, and the name Hales Corners stuck.
Hales Corners continued to develop as a commercial and residential center. It was established as an unincorporated village in 1924 and was incorporated as a village on January 30, 1952. The Village’s current population is 7,674 (Wisconsin Department of Administration, 2016).
For more information on the history of the village visit the Hales Corners Historical Society webpage!